Professional Development and Legal Recruiting Manager
National Law Firm’s Century City Office; Direct Hire; Up to $110K DOE
Working under the direction of the Director, Professional Development and Legal Recruiting (“Director”), the Manager is responsible for supporting the day-to-day operations of the firm’s attorney development, training, retention, recruiting and integration efforts. This is a working Manager role. While some work can be delegated, each member of the department is hands-on and must frequently work together across offices. This Manager must be comfortable both supervising and being supervised remotely. Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Professional Development Duties:
- Collaborate with Director to develop, plan and implement firm-wide skills training.
- Serve as a resource for attorneys regarding training opportunities.
- Work with Director on implementation and monitoring of the attorney mentoring program.
- Support continuing legal education (CLE) administration, including monitoring attorney bar admissions, continuing legal education compliance, and accredited provider status.
- Provide support and assistance to the Director in connection with the mid-year and annual attorney performance evaluation processes firm-wide, including support in coordinating with attorneys on submitting evaluations, reviewing evaluations, attending departmental meetings, and analyzing and drafting evaluation summaries for individuals, as requested.
Legal Recruiting Duties:
- Support all aspects of lateral attorney recruiting, ensuring appropriate communication and coordination with candidates, firm attorneys, administrative management, and any third-party recruiters.
- Follow departmental procedures to secure approval of openings and offer terms. Draft offer letters and relevant materials.
- Formulate job descriptions for active attorney searches and facilitate searches.
- Establish, maintain and build relationships with third-party recruiters.
- Support Director in regard to all pre-employment administrative matters and communications with incoming attorneys. Conduct due-diligence for attorney candidates (e.g., references, bar admission verifications, conflicts checks, etc.).
- Support all aspects, in collaboration with administrative management, related to temporary/contract attorney recruiting and onboarding.
- Assist with entry-level attorney hiring, identify and manage outreach activities with law schools.
- Provide back-up support for firm-wide recruiting as needed.
- Assist Director with strategic research projects, reports to management and other initiatives.
- Provide a high level of administrative support to attorneys at the Firm and coordinate special projects as assigned.
- Prepare and monitor recruiting and retention statistics.
- Manage and assist on survey responses as needed, including NALP, Vault, and HRC’s CEI.
- Assist with monitoring departmental budget in consultation with Director, Professional Development and Legal Recruiting.
- Supervise assigned department employees.
Skills needed to be successful:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and at least five years of professional development and legal recruiting, including direct experience with lateral associate and partner hiring, experience is required; experience working for a law firm or other professional services firm is preferred.
- The ideal candidate will be dynamic, responsive, organized, focused, and team player. Ability to effectively communicate with attorneys, all levels of administrative staff and contacts outside the Firm both verbally and in writing. Ability deal with multiple time-sensitive tasks simultaneously while maintaining exemplary interpersonal skills. Ability to act with a high degree of integrity and maintain confidentiality. Ability to handle and prioritize multiple assignments. Ability to use independent judgment, problem solve, take initiative and follow through. Must demonstrate a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail and possess strong writing and organizational skills. Must be flexible and accommodating to the demands of the Firm’s attorneys and the needs of the department. Must have ability to work with minimal supervision on many tasks.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite and Internet research skills required. Working knowledge of relational databases would be beneficial. Familiarity with viDesktop is a plus, but not required.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- This is an exempt position and occasional work outside of business hours will be required.
The statements contained in this position description are not necessarily all-inclusive, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.