Manager/Senior Manager – Communications and Public Relations
National Law Firm’s Century City Office; Direct Hire; $85-100K
An AmLaw 200 leading law firm, is seeking a manager (or senior manager) to head its communications and public relations function. This role will involve working with firm’s CMO, marketing team colleagues, firm leaders and our external public relations team on a variety of exciting internal and external initiatives as well as overseeing day-to-day communications efforts at the firm and locating new opportunities to help further the firm’s position in the marketplace. This person will oversee two other members of our communications team.
This position will require some travel (most especially in the beginning as relationships are being developed with key stakeholders across the firm).
Job responsibilities will include:
- Identifying story ideas/opportunities for press engagement and facilitating media introductions to position attorneys as experts in their fields.
- Assisting with creating and implementing effective PR campaigns aligned with strategic firm wide business development objectives.
- Serving as a press contact for reporter requests and outreach, including fielding/vetting inquiries.
- Preparing lawyers for interviews or speaking engagements with advance background materials, talking points and sometimes in-person coaching.
- Writing, editing and issuing press and website announcements, including those related to breaking news on deals or cases, new attorney hires and other firm developments.
- Assisting the firm’s Chief Marketing Officer in managing media engagement around crisis needs.
- Overseeing the pitching and placement of bylined articles in appropriate publications.
- Creating and maintaining editorial calendars, and reviewing and developing content for the Firm’s website, social media pages and intranet, as well as multiple internal firm newsletters.
- Overseeing process for writing and updating practice descriptions, attorney biographies and other firm marketing materials,
- Preparing responses for media-related surveys and award submissions for the firm and individual attorneys.
- Providing communications guidance to administrative departments within the Firm, including support on projects related to recruiting, pro bono and diversity.
- Working closely with our firm chairman on important firm wide internal communications.
- Creating both internal and external communications plans around various events and campaigns.
- Working closely with two legal content writers on the firm’s team to help create content for articles and other profile-raising opportunities, as needed.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree, ideally in communications or marketing-related field. Advanced degree a plus.
- 8-10 years of prior public/media relations experience required. Experience within a professional or financial services firm preferred, but candidates from all industries with the right skill-set and a willingness to learn a new sector will be considered.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Professional demeanor, with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion.
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong “presence” and leadership skills.
- Proven ability to mentor and coach team junior members and foster a collaborative environment.
- Exceptional attention to detail coupled with the ability to distill complex issues into clear, concise language.
- Ability to work collaboratively with firm attorneys, media contacts and colleagues at all levels.