Manager of Application Development
Global Law Firm’s Washington DC or Tallahassee FL office; Direct Hire; Salary Open DOE
The Manager will lead a team of application developers and business analysts in a high-pace environment. This role is responsible for the design, development, testing, implementation, and support of in-house custom applications that align with the needs of the various business units of the Firm. The Manager develops and implements policies and procedures to ensure that solutions are delivered with a high degree of quality and in a timely manner via a consistent approach.
- Manage a team of application developers responsible for designing, developing, testing, documentation, delivery, and support of in-house developed applications that include, but not limited to, Intranet, Extranet, web applications, SharePoint applications, and mobile applications.
- Manage a team of business analysts who work closely with the departmental heads and end users to gather requirements, workflows; and accurately define functional and technical requirements of the users for their application needs.
- Responsible for development, maintenance and enforcement of coding standards and conventions, change and source control, best practices, technical documentation, and deployment methods.
- Responsible for establishing and managing compliance of a structured software development life cycle methodology (SDLC) tailored to the firm’s needs.
- Review and assess existing application effectiveness and efficiency, and embrace continuous improvement of applications.
- Collaborate and coordinate with business units and other IT team managers for scheduling new deployments, upgrades and patches to ensure proper communication and least disruptive to the business.
- Establish and maintain a code review practice of technical designs and development code to ensure quality releases into production.
- Develop relationships with vendors and manage contract and consulting development resources when required.
- Conduct research on emerging technologies to ensure that the most effective development applications tools and methodologies are adopted.
- Implement, champion, and ensure compliance with project management and solution delivery processes which produce on-budget, on-schedule, and to quality expectations.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to staff including development of training, development plans and performance management.
- Performs other duties as needed or assigned.
- Minimum of five years of supervisory experience of application development team.
- Minimum of ten years of experience in application design and coding as a software developer/Architect.
- Minimum of three years of experience in project and program management.
- Four-year college or advanced degree preferred in Information Technology or related disciplines, comparable experience considered.
- Hand-on experience in SharePoint development, Windows programming, web development, and mobile application development a plus.
- Demonstrated experience with SDLC (Agile methodology).
- Familiarity with various software packages used by law firms, including FileSite, IntApp Open, Microsoft SharePoint, and accounting systems such as Elite and Aderant; HRIS systems such as Ultipro and Epicor.
- Familiarity with business analysis and user case analysis.
- Knowledge with Microsoft SQL related technologies - SSIS, SSRS, Stored Procedures, T-SQL, Master Data, Data warehousing, BI.
- Solid understanding of IP networking, IT infrastructure, Active Directory, Information Security, IIS.
- Detail oriented and have sense of urgency.
- Must have in-depth abilities in leading software development and solution delivery.
- Possess project management skills, PMP certification a plus.
- Innovative and creative thinker.
- Excellent communication skills a must.
- Demonstrated team leadership skills, great team player, ability to set goals and motivate the team to meet them.
- Ability to work after-hours or weekends on occasions as needed.
- Ability to effectively present information, and work with users at all levels in the Firm.