Global Law Firm’s Downtown Los Angeles Office; Direct Hire; Salary Open DOE
Reports To: Conflicts Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Under the general direction of the Conflicts Supervisor and according to established Firm policies and procedures, is responsible for maintaining the Conflicts databases and for producing Conflicts reports by structuring search strategies and utilizing independent judgment that both accurately and efficiently produce anticipated results. Maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters.
Flexibility to work a rotating schedule to cover Department’s hours of operation is required. Overtime may be required as dictated by business and training needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following. Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position. Essential functions are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform successfully with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Define complex conflict search strategies using Boolean logic. Analyze result set by filtering hits to ensure that anticipated results reflect potential conflicts and that false hits are eliminated from the results.
- Perform data entry to maintain Conflicts database using LegalKEY software. Duties include, but are not limited to, initial setup and on-going maintenance of all party information in the database with correct position/relationship codes.
- Perform corporate research using electronic databases to determine lineage and other corporate information.
- Establish and maintain ethical walls to screen individuals from particular clients and matters as part of the conflict clearing process.
- Participate in the development and mentoring of Conflict Department peers, including training on conflict database software, Firm policies and procedures.
- Efficiently prepare and distribute Departmental reports with an acute attention to detail. Consistently maintain pre-established quantity and quality measures of performance.
- Ensure exceptional client service levels are achieved in delivery of services to Legal Executive Assistants, Legal Administrative Assistants, Paralegals and Attorneys.
- Responsible for completing larger reports including corporate tree updates in addition to assigned work, prioritizing workflow as necessary.
- Communicate issues with clarity utilizing strong problem-solving skills and escalate when necessary.
- Work on a weekly rotating task force to handle Conflicts requests and complete department projects both individually and with other members of the Conflicts Department.
- Learn and apply procedure changes quickly and effectively, working well under pressure.
- Show growth in understanding of Conflicts policies and how they impact the Firm.
- Must have and maintain internet access and ability to work remotely after hours as business needs dictate.
- Assist with special projects as requested by the Conflicts Supervisor and flexibility to work on a variety of rotating Conflicts tasks as assigned.
- This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Bachelor’s degree required. A minimum of one to three years of professional work experience in a legal environment with demonstrated research and complex problem- solving skills are preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft programs including Outlook, Word, and Excel, and the ability to learn new software programs are required. Knowledge of and proficiency in relational databases such as MS SQL, LegalKEY, and CMS Open are highly desired. Data entry skills with 85% accuracy and keyboarding skills of 30 wpm are strongly preferred.
- Ability to learn and utilize specialized internal conflict checking software and multiple software applications and workflow processes of various departments. Issue tracking, follow-up, and resolution skills are essential.
- Ability to articulate an understanding of legal relationships and the nature of representations undertaken is essential to meet the minimum performance standards of this position.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy and respond effectively to the most sensitive
- Conflict inquiries or complaints; provide information; and maintain effective relationships with management, a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts.
- Ability to apply both logical and common sense understanding to carry out a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, and diagram forms, and the ability to handle and resolve problems involving concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative and analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail and accuracy in order to conduct detailed analysis of source documentation utilizing excellent judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with proven ability to provide an accurate and efficient work product in a high-volume environment are necessary.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. Ability to act independently and make decisions within scope of the position’s responsibilities.
- Excellent follow-through skills with the ability to handle multiple functions in a fast- paced, detail-oriented work environment, and adapt to changes in workflow, processes, and procedures.
- Possess excellent knowledge of reading, writing, grammar, spelling, punctuation, proofreading, and formatting in order to interpret source data, perform data entry, proofread material for grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors, and perform file maintenance.
- Ability to perform detailed mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts when computing, reconciling balances, verifying numerical data, and preparing various conflicts reports.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including computer, telephone, photocopier, scanner, calculator, facsimile, etc.
- Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- The work environment is characteristic of a normal office environment with moderate exposure to excessive noise, dust, temperature, etc.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities, and requirements. This position description may be modified in the future as necessary.Click here to edit text